Breastfeeding at its best is inexpensive, easy and provides a whole host of health benefits for both mother and child. But you would not be alone if at first you struggle with breastfeeding. A trained lactation consultant, typically certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, can provide the insights needed to get over the stumbling blocks that prevent many women from continuing to breastfeed and reap the benefits.
The TMC for Women Outpatient Breastfeeding Clinic was created to help women and babies with breastfeeding once they have left the hospital or birth center. Lactation consultants can help address latch problems, provide nipple shields and help with supplemental nursing systems (for those babies who are ineffective at nursing, preemies or special needs babies or for moms who have a low-milk supply or whose bodies need encouragement to lactate).
The goal of the outpatient Breastfeeding Clinic to make sure all new mothers in our community can access trained lactation consultants and overcome hurdles to breastfeeding, no matter what their insurance or ability to pay. You can still access support via telephone on our breastfeeding warmline, 520 324 5730. (When clients call this phone number you can leave a message either on our Outpatient Line to schedule an appointment or the main line for questions. The lactation consultants return calls in between patient care and between hours of about 8 am to 6pm.) In person visits provide another level of support that is impossible to attain via a phone conversation. The appointments are typically an hour to an hour and a half long and take place in a distinctly non-clinical like setting, nestled in a quiet corner of our campus.
Call 520-324-5730 to make an appointment for an outpatient consultation.
What you should know about our breastfeeding consultations:
- Services are available to anyone in the community regardless of where you deliver your baby.
- You do not need a referral
- If you have insurance, they will be billed first, if they refuse to cover it or if you don’t have insurance, the cost will be covered under a grant from the TMC Foundation. Our TMC community recognizes the benefits of supporting breastfeeding for the health of mom, baby and the community at large.
- Don’t have easy transportation? Perhaps you’ve just had a C-section and can’t drive? No worries, we can help with transportation to and from your appointment. Just ask when you schedule your appointment.
- You will see a registered nurse who is a certified lactation consultant
- Need more than one consultation? No problem, multiple appointments are available.
- This is no cold hospital room appointment- appointments are held in a comfortable, private sitting area designed by the lactation consultants in line with what we know helps support women breastfeed.
Thanks to the support of the TMC Facilities Department who helped furnish the room and to Sandy Forbes, Donna Morton and an anonymous donor who donated the gorgeous photographs by Tucson photographer Jade Beall.