Why is it that the food tastes so much better when you eat at a restaurant? What is the special magic that chefs use to get the food to taste so wonderful? And can it really be healthy AND tasty?
Chef Janos Wilder, Tucson’s James Beard award-winning chef, reveals the secrets to one of his tasty and healthy dishes in this demonstration video. Chef Wilder and our Tucson Medical Center Wellness team have collaborated to create a program that helps even the most reluctant cook to create meals that are delightfully sumptuous and healthy to boot. From demonstration lunch and learn sessions with Chef Janos at The Carriage House, Chef Janos-inspired dishes on TMC patient and public menus, to easy to follow recipes and videos with Chef Janos we’ve got you covered. Today we share Mushroom, Chile and Salsa Fresca Tacos.
Recipe Card – Tacos with Mushroom, Roasted Chile, Salsa Fresca (1)
Mushroom, Chile, Salsa Fresca Vegan Tacos
Yield: 8 Tacos
1 Yellow onion, sliced into medium strips
¾ lb Portobello mushrooms, gills removed and sliced
2 Tsp Garlic finely chopped
2 Anaheim chiles, roasted seeded, peeled and cut into 1/4” wide strips 1 Tbsp Canola oil to coat bottom of sauté pan
1 Cup Salsa fresca
1 Cup Shredded cabbage
3 Radishes, sliced into small strips
1 Tbsp Fresh lime juice
8 Corn tortillas
1 ½ Cup Garden tomatoes, medium diced
½ Red onion, small diced
4 Scallions, small diced
1 Fresh Anaheim chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced small
1 Fresh Poblano chile, roasted, peeled and diced small
2 Tbsp Cilantro, washed and large stems removed, roughly chopped
2 Tsp Finely chopped fresh garlic
2 Tsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tsp Red wine vinegar
3 Tsp Olive oil
Freshly ground Pepper to taste
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat with the canola oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and cook about 7 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions are quite soft but haven’t browned.
- Add the mushrooms and a little more oil if needed and sauté with the onions another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the garlic and the Anaheim chiles, stirring occasionally for another 3-4 minutes
- Refrigerate for use later or hold warm
Prepare Salsa Fresca
- Combine all ingredients.
- Refrigerate and serve within 8 hours.
To Assemble the Tacos:
- Warm the corn tortillas over a grill, in a pan, or in the microwave.
- Toss the cabbage and radishes in the lime juice.
- Divide the onion, chile mushroom mixture among the warm tortillas.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of salsa fresca over the vegetable mixture.
- Top each taco with the cabbage radish slaw.